Tuesday, March 25, 2008

if I was smart I'd never call you again


Today didn't turn out exactly the way I had imagined it. I imagine it didn't quite go the way Jamie had expected either. When I think back on the evening on a whole, I think that maybe I should have driven. There's quite a few reasons why it might have been a good choice. Hmmm.. ;) Be that as it may, Nicole Atkins was just as good as I thought she'd be and more. She has such an incredible voice. I'm so jealous of her talent. Because it's not just a great voice. There's a lot of great voices out there. But it's just got this great raw edge to it. And she really knows how to write a song that displays it. I wish I could write a song that I could show more of my range than I have written. And considering this was the first time I saw her live, I'm happy to report that she's also got a great personality. She's cute, but sarcastic. Quick on her feet and intelligent. With so much talentless, produced bullshit around (even locally), Nicole is truly refreshing. And just when I couldn't love her anymore, she came out and did her cover of "Pissing in a River" by Patti Smith as an encore. Fucking amazing. I don't know what I was doing before I came home the night I "discovered" Nicole Aktins, but I'm glad I came in just when I did because had I come in at any other moment, I might not have ever seen her on Dave Letterman and I might be seriously missing out!

ps. Sorry you had such a havoc filled day, Jamie.

No comments: