Sunday, June 8, 2008

someday I'll laugh about it

Our lovely Lisa had a birthday on Friday. But celebrations of this monumental moment in Uptown history actually began on Thursday. Unfortunately, it coincided with the start of me not feeling so hot. I only worked 3 hrs, but I felt like shit the whole time and I wasn't in a joyous mood when it came time to leave for Philly. Why did we go to Philadelphia? To celebrate the birth of Lisa and the beginning of summer with an olfactory stink fest at the Rilo Kiley show at the Electric Factory. From the moment we got in line, horrible smells abound; Jenny Lewis wannabe's and their boyfriends who smell just like the thrift stores they bought their outfits from, the waitress who carried her tray as proudly as her body funk, and the bathroom that I honestly questioned whether or not there was an unfound rotting corpse somewhere. Before Rilo Kiley came on, we had to suffer through not only bad smells, but stinky opening acts. Benji Hughes, a drunk, overweight Jim Morrison who even took his shirt off for the last song to give the ladies a thrill. Which in fact left Jamie pregnant, Lisa with wet pants, and me with gonorrhea in my throat! And then Thao, a 3 piece band headed by a girl that sounded like a combination of Bjork and Cat Power. They were interesting for about two songs, then I zoned out and watched the light guy try to pick appropriate lighting for their music. After this, we went downstairs and were literally blown; by an industrial size fan AND Rilo Kiley. Despite playing a few songs I do not enjoy from their new album (and one they actually made me hate more by seeing it live), they were pretty good live. I often wondered how Jenny Lewis' vocals were live and she did not leave me disappointed. Chick has got some pipes. I've always been envious of her lyrics (well, on previous albums moreso), but I definitely was impressed with her abilities singing and on bass, guitar, and piano. Not to mention they definitely made the right choice with that robot chick. J&TY need a robot like her!Speaking of J&TY, we had a few shows this weekend. Friday we played at this cool place called the Auction House in Audubon, NJ and then we played a benefit show for the Hope Project in the mysterious land of Burleigh, NJ. As I had mentioned earlier, I felt like shit on Thursday and I didn't really feel any better on Friday or Saturday. I felt worse everyday. Sore throat, congestion, headache, etc. And on top of that I was pretty upset about some internal band conflicts going on. I'm just completely relieved that it's Sunday and that shit is in the past now. I'm not exactly looking forward to this coming weekend, though. If this illness carries on through my whole work week and into the weekend, I'm going to be one unhappy camper.
But, be that as it may, I did enjoy spending extra time with Miss Lisa! But we've definitely got to go back down to Wildwood when I don't feel like death, it's not Senior Week and we have more time! Lisa, you already know this.. but.. I have to admit.... I toat love you!!!! And if you're ever wondering if you're cute, just open that card I got you. CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

1 comment:

Lisa said...

thankyouthankyouthankyou.

for everything...esp. since you weren't feeling so hot all weekend.

<3!