Monday, April 5, 2010

And so it begins and it is so strange

First day of 3rd Quarter was today. Due to trouble with my schedule, the 12:30 class I had registered for didn't pan out so I only had to go to one class today from 6 to 10. And what a class it was. When you think of basic algebra naturally you think of what? Yes. Saving Private Ryan. After struggling through a preliminary test, he had us stand up and watch the battle scene on Normandy beach from Saving Private Ryan. Yes. We stood for nearly the entire 25 minute battle scene. Afterward, we filled out a survey that included questions concerning which character was the most like ourselves and what we would have done in the same situation. How does this relate to basic algebra? Well, of course it's a lesson about not being afraid of math and not giving up. When I watch graphic war movies, I always think of math so I got it right away. Furthermore, when he showed the scene from Return of the Jedi where Jabba the Hut sentence Luke, Han, and Chewbacca to their deaths through C-3PO, I wasn't at all perplexed at this strange mathematical tactic. Nope. Totally normal. Has happened in every math class I've ever attended. Same for you, right?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

omg Lonnie!! hahahha you are so right!